Matthew completed a Master’s degree in Voice Performance from The University of British Columbia. There he studied with conductor and vocal pedagogue, Bruce Pullan for his undergrad, and internationally acclaimed tenor, Roelof Oostwoud to complete the graduate degree. Before UBC, he studied with Choral and Vocal specialist, Lars Kaario at Capilano University.
Past performances include Messiah solos with the Vancouver Bach Choir and VSO, Mozart’s Requiem, Bach’s Magnificat, Stravinsky’s Les Noces (CBC broadcast), Orff’s Carmina Burana, Stephen Chatman’s Over Thorns to Stars (Centrediscs), and Mendelssohn’s Elijah with Vancouver Bach Choir. While an under grad, Matt performed the role of ‘Camile’ in the UBC Opera production of The Merry Widow, directed by Professor Nancy Hermiston. He performed in Polish, the role of ‘Pasterz’ in Dr. Krzysztof Biernacki’s UBC production of Szymanowski’s King Roger.
He has been engaged as tenor soloist for Laudate Singers, Capilano College Singers, Quantlen College, and UBC’s University Singers. In 2004, he was the tenor soloist for Grande Messe des Morts and Lelio, both as part of the international symposium “A Blaze of Berlioz.” In 2005, he performed as tenor soloist in The Messiah with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Tadeusz Biernacki conducting. In 2007, Matt appeared as the tenor in UBC’s production of Verdi’s Requiem. This was Matt’s first performance of the work and he “felt very blessed and privileged to have been given the chance to sing with Gary Relyea.”
From 2006-08, Matt was in six productions with the Vancouver Opera Chorus. He has also been selected to perform roles in opera workshops such as Griffen and Sabine, Butterfly Prelude, and a Tom Cone Opera Project 10-minute-opera by composer Eileen Padget and librettist Colin Browne in 2012.
“Matt shows every sign of filling the shoes left vacant with the exit of Peter Pears.” – John S. Gray, WholeNote Discoveries
1. When I was One and Twenty fr. A Shropshire Lad – G. Butterworth. UBC Recital recording with pianist Marnie Hauschildt.
2. Sanctus fr. Grande messe des morts Op. 5 – H. Berlioz. UBC Symphony Orchestra, Bruce Pullan conducting.
3. Deposuit fr. Magnificat BWV 243. UBC Symphony Orchestra, Bruce Pullan conducting.
4. Et misericordia fr. Magnificat BWV 243. Jennifer (my better half), with the UBC Symphony Orchestra, Bruce Pullan conducting.
5. Dies Bildnis fr. Die Zauberflöte K620 – W.A. Mozart. Just singing in the basement with the canned orchestra in headphones.